Monday, April 7, 2008

Thing 7 - Communication

I can't really remember life before email. I think that email increases productivity, overall. It is easy to send and receive emails from coworkers and parents of my students. I can quickly reply to someone confidentially without distracting my students or taking too much time out of my teaching.
My only experience with web-conferencing, is when I was taking a Master's class. Most of the students in my class were from Fargo, and we were conferencing with our professor who was in Minot, 4 hours away. We also had a few students from other cities join us. It was amazing to think that we could have a class, live, with people in 3 different cities. It's not like having class with someone face-to-face, but still was very productive. We were even able to share documents with each other.
As far as Instant Messaging... I've never really used it. IM and Texting are definitely new means for communicating with friends. I have text messaged many times in my personal life, but haven't used it for professional reasons.

No comments: